Sunday, October 16, 2022

A Gallery of Beautiful Leaves

Yesterday, my Mom and I visited a local park to see the changing leaves. We saw a pretty nice show of autumn colors. The trees are just at the point here where they are freshly yellow, orange, and red. And because it was such a bright, sunny day, I had the opportunity to catch the light glowing through the leaves.


It probably looks warmer than it was, because of the bright sun. It felt like maybe a 40-something degree day with a brisk wind.

Isn't it cool how this tree changed color basically in half? I'm reminded of those hairstyles where someone dyes their hair a different color on each side of their head - straight down the middle. This is that hair-do on a tree. You can look up "split dye hair-do" if you don't know what I'm talking about. You'll see some pics of girls who have actually chosen these very colors. 

And here's a close-up of a beautiful tree that has completely turned red:



I love the green to yellow to orange fade on each of these individual leaves!




This photo reminds me of stained glass because of the dark lines in front of the lit up leaves.

These two came out soft and pretty, almost pastel. Do you think this is bittersweet? The shape seems right but it was pretty pink.


I'm not sure if this is a Japanese Maple. The general leaf shape seems right. It was sort of a low growing bush, though. My best guess from looking at pics online is that it is a Weeping Japanese Maple. 


This one looks like it's either reaching out or pointing at something.

You can't ask for a better array of colors from one plant! Just wow.


Neither of us had ever seen leaves change like this, with this intense black against the bright colors. And what was so neat was that there was red, orange, and yellow featured against that black. The ultimate Halloween leaves, right?


We saw a few other colorful plants that fit nicely with the autumn leaves. I'm not sure what these are, but I liked them so much that I included several photos of them.

They could be some kind of burr? They certainly look like they could attach themselves to a passerby. Do you guys know what these are? My only clue for you is that I think they're the seed pod form of something...


This is Paintbrush Celosia. I grew some of these this year. They grew a little differently, though. Mine were taller with multiple spikes, but not as full.

Some nice autumn colored Zinnias:

I'm not sure what these berries are, but they were so pretty with the light shining through them. I feel like I am looking at a miniature streetlamp.

We had a very pleasant day in the park. We ran into some nice people and I had an amazing first, which was seeing a bald eagle! The eagle was far up in the sky, but I managed to get a photo of it with my zoom. Isn't that something?

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this virtual trip to the park. I know some of you may be in places where the leaves don't change color like this, so I am happy to share! Some of these leaves were new to me this year. It's amazing that any could be new at this point.

🍁🍂🍃

I realized that those of you who have been receiving my blog by email in the past, no longer are. The service I was using for that just decided to stop. So, I'll be figuring something out to replace it. Again, any tech advice is appreciated. If any of you were using Feedburner to send blogs by email to your readers, what have you replaced it with?

4 comments:

  1. Those black leaves are pretty cool! Haven't seen anything like that before.

    I've seen a few bald eagles around MA in the past couple years. Hawks are fairly common here now too which they weren't 10 years ago.

    You should check out follow.it. It lets you create a newsletter signup so people will get an email when you post something new. We're using it on the Countdown to Halloween site (countdowntohalloween.net)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dex ~ Yeah! I have to wonder if the blackness of those leaves has to do with sudden weather changes. We have had some weird seasonal shifts this year. Or maybe that's their usual look? I ought to look around online for some similar leaves and see what's up.

    Hey, that's cool! Did you see the eagles at close range? The eagle shown here was super far up in the sky. I had to zoom waaaay in to see what kind of bird I was looking at. I had expected to see a Turkey Vulture, which are much more common around here. The eagle was a neat surprise. Hawks are common here, although they have been for as long as I can remember.

    Thanks for telling me about follow.it. I will look into it. There were a few frustrating surprises when I returned to blogger, and feedburner no longer delivering my blog by email was one of them. Slowly, I am getting blogger things back in place with everyone's help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closest I've seen one was it flying at a good height. Just low enough that I could tell from the head that it was an eagle. We went out earlier in the year to a place nearby where they're sighted at that time of year and did see a couple but they were in a tree and even with my 30x zoom you could barely see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so your eagle was somewhat closer than mine. Because I couldn't even tell what kind of bird I was looking at! I wonder how likely it is for anyone to see an eagle at close range. This conversation is making me want to look up a little info about their flying habits, etc.

    ReplyDelete