Friday, September 21, 2018

Halloween at Target and lots of it!

Get ready to see lots of photos! After going to two different Target stores over the past few days, I have a lot to share. Target has some different "collections" of decorations this year. They have a classy black and metallic purple collection, a traditional orange and black collection, and a pretty impressive Day of the Dead collection! And there were lots of fun toy-like items that moved and lit up.

Starting with some nostalgia... I love this mask because it reminds me of my childhood. Do you guys remember those super bright Halloween decorations printed on kind of a cardstock material? These would be from the '80s. I remember a bright green full body skeleton decoration like that and some faces. Well, those are immediately what I thought of when I saw this:


Ah ha! I found a picture of one of those 80s skulls:

Skull pic on Halloween Wizard's blog

There are a lot of skulls on that page, but I'm talking about the first one.

I didn't try to light up these masks, but I'd like to see one in action. It appears they are sensitive to sound. I think this butterfly mask looks like something made to go with a blacklight. Now we're getting into 90s nostalgia!


This a cute new prop: the haunted fishbowl. If you press a button, all these different lights come on and the little skeleton fish move around.



Masquerade birds


These pumpkin pillows were so soft! Like a nice, fluffy blanket. How do you like that Simpsons looking bat?


I LOVE this skull and crossbones. This is the first time I've seen fake skulls go in that piratey direction.


In other new skull news, check out this dragon skull! It said on the tag that it lights up and I think I can see a lightbulb in there.


That red wire or cord looks almost like thin neon rope lighting.


The Wheel of Fate! I like where the hand is pointing now (Treats will be yours), but they're not all good spins.


This thing was massive! We can see that it lights up in purple but I'm not sure if it lights up in other colors.


I liked all the metallic purple accents I was seeing. They had a lot of metallic purple on black stuff.


Check out this Day of the Dead section! I like that they're going in a direction where some of this could actually be used on an altar. The candles and candleholders, for instance.



This wreath was one of my favorite items there. I'm feeling inspired to make something like this.


Some of those little birds Target carries:


Sugar skull dachshunds!




This reminds me of the classic blow molds, only super tiny.




This poison bottle is kind of an old-school liquor jug/bowling pin.


Obviously this spider's legs can be bent down. They look pretty funny like this.


I think these spiders have pretty adorable faces. Their hairdos are adding to the cuteness.



Check out these wicked old school devices! Those specimens in what looks like a mad scientist's lab equipment actually startled me, because they made so much noise. I think the others are pretty fun designs. The boombox brings me back. You can't see in this pic, but if you peel apart that purple center in the phone, there's a big eye.


Here we go:


If you get a chance, give this phone a listen. I think you'll agree with me that it sounds like a close relative to Cookie Monster. The alarm clock opens and rings really loudly. That one was a little much for me. It'll make you jump.


Here's a close-up of that nostalgic boombox. This one wasn't like that crazy alarm clock. It was surprisingly low key in the noise department.


And the specimens! This reminds me of something. A kid's show? I don't know. Somebody help me out here. Do these eyes and teeth remind you of something?


Some big, juicy eyes! I assume these are for sticking on a pumpkin?


More eyes! These were in the party favors section:


One more eye! I can't remember if this does anything aside from glancing around. It reminds me a little of that eye on the spellbook in Hocus Pocus.


I think there's something creepy about a bunch of mascot heads on shelves. I'm reminded of a local costume shop that I don't think exists anymore. It was creepier than this because it wasn't well lit in there. There were rows after rows Easter Bunny suits in there.


I think the cow is kind of cute.


I'm pretty sure I saw this chicken head worn with a full fluffy chicken suit years back, something close to it anyway. A person was doing something like "The Funky Chicken" in this at a street festival. 😁


Funky, tribal pumpkins:


Pretty cute


This one might be on the After Halloween Haul list:


Tiny punk planters! At least I see those plants as hair. I'm now noticing those creeping hand candleholders behind them. They had some of those hands in black too.


A close-up of another punk item: the spiky pumpkin


I'm ending with this Ouija Board tray because it fittingly says "GOOD BYE".  I  can see this tray as holding a number of candles. I think the metallic gold on this tray would look really cool by candlelight.



Do your Target stores have this same general selection? The two I visited varied a bit. One seemed to have more of the traditional orange and black decorations.

I should also mention that now is a good time to visit Target for some discount school supplies/organizers. I ended up with some pretty large plastic magazine or binder holders for only 58¢ each!

12 comments:

  1. I feel like I see different versions of those little costume birds at every Target and no store has the same ones. We picked up one that has a black cat costume.
    I saw other ones that I think were Dia de Los Muertos themed. In fact, that Target had a mini section of Day of the Dead style decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ I meant to send you to this blog post, because I know you're a fellow Target fan! But you got here on your own first. :) I agree about the birds. The first Target I went to had hardly any. They seem to sell out pretty quickly. Have you ever taken a photo of all your birds lined up? I know you have a collection.

      I'm pretty impressed with Target's Day of the Dead series this year. I'm enjoying seeing Day of the Dead stuff at a bunch of stores. The more of that the better, in my view! I like bright colors and skeletons, so there ya go. :)

      Delete
    2. I've only four including this years. Still have to dig out the decorations. Maybe a group photo when they're united.

      Delete
    3. Dex ~ Are all of your birds Halloween themed? I have a Christmas one, a hiking one, and one I'd call a festive pink party bird. :) We ought to line up our birds and take some pics some time! We might have entirely different ones.

      Delete
    4. So far they are all Halloween, one this year and three from last year. If I had the space I would definitely buy more of them. Even some of the non-Halloween ones are pretty cute.

      Delete
    5. Dex ~ I wonder where people normally display their bird collections? A window sill comes to mind, but they might get faded there. I haven't figured out one place for mine yet. They're just sort of sprinkled around. :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't had a chance to go Halloween searching as yet. But these were great. I like the metallic orange and purples. That specimen jar does remind me of something. And, if I were a kid I'd want to be the unicorn. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorelei ~ Oh, no? You haven't looked at any Halloween stuff in the stores yet? Get out there, there's some good stuff to see! :) I love the metallic finishes on these things too. I think a room decorated in just black and a few bright metallic colors could look pretty sharp for Halloween.

      Yeah, I even googled "kid's show skeleton eyes teeth" today in an attempt to find out what I'm remembering. Who knows.

      Oh? You're a unicorn fan? You should be happy this season, because I am seeing tons of unicorn and mermaid things on the shelves! A lot of them were at Dollar Tree.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Bob ~ Haha! Yeah, get over there! Are you planning to pick up any of the stuff pictured here? I'd be interested to see some pics from your Target if the selection is any different from mine. Sometimes even a Target that's 15 minutes away from another Target around here has different stuff.

      Delete
  4. Your Target seems to have more than the several I visited in the City here around Phoenix. Home Goods around here had a better selection thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian ~ I think we are pretty lucky with our Target selection! When I went to the first Target, the shelves were in the process of being stocked. The second Target was good to go with lots more stuff. So maybe in the next week or so you'll see more at your stores? I don't think I've been to Home Goods yet this season. I had to think about that for a second, because I've been to so many similar stores!

      Delete