Thursday, October 24, 2019

Warm and Inviting Halloween Nostalgia


You guys might remember seeing the Halloween displays at Farm Girl Antiques in years past. Well, I have some really cool photos from this year's trip! I get such a calm, happy feeling when I look over the photos I've taken at this store.


Maybe it's the comfort older objects can sometimes bring. Or maybe it's the homey atmosphere in the store, or the warm lighting in some areas. Like this, couldn't this be the corner of someone's comfy living room?


So, approaching the store you're going to notice the big display windows out front. As I've mentioned before, this building is pretty old. It used to be a men's clothing store and I'm sure good use was made of these windows. As you can see, good use is still being made of these windows.


I like this pic, because pretty much the only part not caught by the reflection of the scene across the street is that witch face.


If that's not enough to make you want to go in, just look at that doorway.


So, once in the store you'll want to climb around inside those big display windows. It's a bit of a step up. But just look at all the cool things you'll find in there!


I just noticed that smiley face on the 'i'


There was a shelf full of little medicine and potion bottles in that display window area. The bottles were quite small, although I know you can't tell that here. I was really trying to close in to show the words on them, because there are some funny things going on here. Like that Demon Dandruff Destroyer that "Beats the Old Scratch" 😆 Not to mention the FairyFoot Corn Plasters, which I thought were "Corn Blasters" until just taking a closer look.


How about "Old Croak"! Love that logo. I think you'll get a kick out of all the text on that. These pics are worth enlarging to read. I'm trying to make out what that Fidelity potion is all about. I think I see something about a restraining order on it.


I actually think the Embalming Fluid label is really pretty. These labels all have a genuinely antique look.


This is a view out the window and across the street. As you can see, that building is getting a repaint. It's in pretty good shape for being built in 1882!


Checkerboard owls with a ghostly scratchboard owl behind them.


This is one of those puzzle type pictures where there's a lot going on. There are so many shapes fit into one another that you might not even notice the coach's very real looking skeleton driver.


There's something so funny about photos like these in a "Friends & Family" frame!


I wanted to show a bit of the old tin ceiling in this place. It's darkened now and I assume the shiny or painted layer has fallen away. I only recently realized that tin ceilings were a regional thing. If you've been in any old buildings in Wisconsin, I know you've seen them.


Some adorable antique costumes:


This display makes me imagine someone's dressing room as they're getting ready to act in a play or go to a costume party.


I like how those white beads are snaking about.




There is something so pleasing to me about the color of that old door with the colors in that wreath. This is another homey corner of the shop that I find comfortable. It's funny how that goes with antique stores. I'm sure those of you who have been to antique stores with different booths know what I mean. You feel drawn to some booths more than others and more comfortable in some than others.


There are all kinds of fun things going on here! I especially like those round boxes with faces painted on them. And there's something kind of wacky about that giant squirrel too.


Great sign!


I'd like to know the story behind this old mask.


This little chicken container was one of my favorite things there. I've never seen a farm animal version of those little pumpkin pails before.



If you're wondering, this photo is not one of those that changes as you move past it into something cute. Nope, that's her face. I mean, I'm sure it's been doctored, but that's what you get! Pretty creepy stuff. It reminds me of The Exorcist.



I'm going to finish with one of the coolest displays there.


Can't you feel those eyes upon you? And for those familiar with the original Annabelle story, that Raggedy Ann doll isn't even a comforting sight!


I'd be interested to know which of these items you'd take home if you could!

🎃  ðŸŽƒ  ðŸŽƒ

If you'd like to revisit my Farm Girl Antiques posts from the last couple years, here they are. I just went on a trip down memory lane with those!

2018: A Trip Back in Halloween Time

2017: An Antique Halloween Atmosphere

You might recognize a few of the same decorations being used in different ways depending on the year.

2 comments:

  1. Lots and lots of fun stuff here. I love all the vintage looks. I see about 15 things I might buy. I hope you got some potion bottles - I think they are a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M ~ Definitely! 15 things? Sounds like this store would enjoy a visit from you. :) I didn't end up getting anything, actually! I'm only really appreciating the potion bottles now because I'm looking at them larger and being able to read all the fine print. They are really clever. I'm reminded to get out the little potion bottles I decorated years back! For some reason I forgot to do that this season.

      Delete