Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Tonight's Full Corn Moon

Hello everyone! I have some Halloween store blog posts lined up, but tonight the Full Corn Moon is out there. So I decided I would share some pics of it first.


Actually, I'm going to start with some pics I took of the moon two days ago. The mood out there around Midnight on Monday was so spooky. The clouds were moving so fast that the moon was appearing for a matter of seconds. But for those few seconds, things were looking very cool!


Just check out those dramatic clouds.


And to make things even more perfect, I heard the hoot of a nearby owl while out there. A Great Horned Owl too. I think that is the most Halloweeny of owls. I tried my best to get a picture of the owl but I couldn't find it in the trees. Owls are pretty stealthy and of course stop hooting the minute you walk under them. So then of course I'm thinking "I hope this owl doesn't fly down at me". Nothing happened, but I know it was above me.


So here are tonight's pics of the actual full moon. It was very bright.


It was so bright that it lit up the area around these leaves.


Even with the moon completely silhouetted, it still created a glow.


For those who would like to learn more about tonight's Full Corn Moon, The Farmer's Almanac posted a fun, informative article about it:

Full Moon for September 2020 ~ The Old Farmer's Almanac

And I know I mentioned this earlier, but moonsign.today is worth visiting. I visit this site nearly every day to check the phase of the moon. I enjoy tracking the moon's visibility on there.

Well, I hope you are all doing well. We're into September now, so it feels like we're wading into autumn. The weather here is suddenly much crisper and I've been enjoying that. Between that cooler air, the full moon, and the close proximity of an owl, I feel Halloween approaching! 🌝

9 comments:

  1. Last nights corn moon was super cool. I love that autumn is on it way - makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M ~ It sure was! Was your view of the moon about like mine? Yeah, the thought of autumn arriving is making me happy too. Little by little, I can feel it in the air. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome photos! My daughter went outside to try and find the moon last night but it was covered. I will definitely share the moonsign.today site with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics and thanks for the background info. We too have a great horned owl that hangs out around our yard occasionally. Such a cool and giant bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The October Boy ~ Thank you! :) Have you managed to see your owl? The one here is pretty illusive. Sometimes I hear it sounding very close in the early morning hours. One time I even think it was on the roof. I keep trying to decide if it would be really cool to open the window and see it or if it would be really scary. Probably a little of both.

      Delete
  4. Great pics! Glad to see your doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haunted Eve ~ Thank you! :) I am doing well, especially with all things considered going on in the world. I hope you are doing well too! We're creeping up on October and that ought to put us all in a good mood, right?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful lunar photos as always Justine. And September already. Halloween is going to be a little different this year, but I'm looking forward to it as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison ~ Thank you! Yeah, September already... In a way, I'm thinking how summer went by so fast and wishing I had more time. In another way, I am of course looking forward to fall and Halloween! :) Yes, Halloween will be different. I don't know what the heck is going on with trick-or-treating. As far as I know, it is still scheduled to happen. I don't think that is a good idea, much as I love the event.

      But there is still so much to look forward to. A big part of the season for me is seeing the leaves change color. Nature will still be doing its thing. And there are two very healthy pumpkins growing here. There are still Halloween movies and food/candy. I'm sure the carved jack-o'-lanterns will still be out in our town. Overall, there is a lot to look forward to!

      Delete