Monday, March 30, 2020

Shut in with superheroes and the super weird

Hey everyone! I hope you're all healthy and well. I'm sure many of you have been watching movies over the past few weeks. Our library decided to close its doors for obvious health reasons, so I went out on its last night open to check out some DVDs. I thought I would be the only one there, but surprisingly no! A lot of people had that same idea. One woman brought two laundry baskets with her! I guess she's stocked up with entertainment. I went with the goal of checking out the dumbest movies I could find. That's not an insult to the movies I checked out. I like watching movies that walk that fine line of good/bad or are so bad they're good.


And for all I know, some of these could be good! That Super movie with Rainn Wilson looks like the kind of story that could sneak up on a person and actually be smart, or maybe not. And according to the back of the Night Shift case, that movie gave a spark to Michael Keaton's career. I couldn't pass up a movie starring both Micheal Keaton and Henry Winkler with what looks like a bunch of sexy legs popping out of a City Morgue vehicle. That looks like some good off-the-wall brain drain to me!

Anyway, my theory is that watching movies that are that dumb kind of funny is a good way to get through stressful times. I haven't watched them all yet, unless you're counting that I watched The Mask 20-some years ago. Actually I've only watched Mystery Men so far. This was my first time seeing Mystery Men. I got it because the DVD cover looked goofy. This is one of those movies where I'm not sure about the intent, but it was surprisingly funny in parts. I feel like I should be embarrassed to find Paul Reubens so funny playing a character named "The Spleen" whose superpower is well... passing gas.


The movie is basically about a group of superheroes who are a little off the beaten path. And to be honest, some of their superpowers are not all that super. Heck, "The Spleen" might have the most going on of any of them.

Besides that, I watched more Tremors movies. I have now caught up with all possible Tremors. I can't wait for the 7th one! These movies are strangely addictive. And aren't we all a little like the Burt Gummer character now? Hoarding food and whatever other supplies we find essential, trying to be as prepared as possible. I think we've all become Preppers in a way. The Tremors movies were the perfect escapist viewing for me. And during a time of uncertainty, it feels good to watch people be resourceful and win out against a threat.


And here's another movie that is strangely fitting for these times! Svengoolie was playing Village of the Damned (the one from 1960) this past Saturday. This was my first time watching the movie! I can't even believe that. I've been meaning to watch it for probably decades now. If anyone else hasn't seen it yet, I won't spoil anything. I'll just say, the movie is very well made and chilling. It starts with what feels like an all too familiar and uncertain crisis. Then it goes in a direction that thankfully we cannot at all relate to. It's one of those spooky kid movies that is unnerving in the same way spooky doll movies are. Someone or something you typically think of as small, innocent, and vulnerable is the threat. That is just creepy in a way no other threat can be creepy.


I really recommend Village of the Damned. For those of you who have seen the movie, I'd be very interested in discussing the meaning you found in it. I feel like had it been made today, I would have a pretty good idea of what they were saying about our culture. But since it was made in 1960, I'm not entirely sure. Except to say that I think there was a strong theme around emotions and what their advantages and disadvantages are to a species.

So, that's about it as far as my movie watching has been going. Which movies have you guys been watching?

4 comments:

  1. Mystery Men is a lot of fun! Super on the other hand...is a bit more dark with its comedy.

    I think March will hold the record for most sequels I've watched in a given month. But you'll have to tune into the blog tomorrow to see which ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ I thought I'd hear from you on this one! :) I was kind of trying to figure out what was going on with Mystery Men during my first viewing, but I was laughing. I think I was mostly trying to figure out Blue Raja. There was a lot going on with that guy! But I like Hank Azaria, so I'll let a few fork puns go. ;) Paul Reubens pretty much stole the show for me. If you look up some pics of Mystery Men cosplay you'll get a laugh. There are some pretty good renditions of the Shoveler.

      Yeah, I couldn't tell what I was getting into with Super. The DVD case had some interesting imagery. And I like Rainn Wilson, at least I liked him as Dwight. The 'R' rating was a clue that it might be a little different from Mystery Men.

      Haha! Yeah? OK, I'll check in with your blog and see what you've been watching. I've barely been keeping up with my own blog lately! I need to get back to reading the ones I follow.

      Delete
  2. So bummed I missed Village of the Damned the other day. Being a fan of bad movies I really like Mystery Men myself its so odd yet good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob ~ Oh? Do you get MeTV? For some reason, I thought you were watching Sven on "The U" and we had a different schedule. If it wasn't for Sven, I wouldn't have seen Village of the Damned. I've wanted to see the movie for years, but for some reason hadn't. Have you seen it before?

      I feel like I would enjoy and understand Mystery Men better if I watched it a second time. Although, maybe I'm just reading a lot into to it after reading some other people's thoughts online. I think sometimes viewers give a whole lot more deep thought to a movie than the people who made it! But yeah, it was a funny one. I went in with dirt-level expectations and just a plan to have fun with it. And I got some good laughs, especially at "The Disco Boys" :)

      How are you doing during this time in the house? Have you been catching up on some movies too?

      Delete