Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Vintage Inspired Halloween at Michaels

Hey everyone! So, it's been awhile since I've been on here. Mostly that's because I was without internet! The internet had been going out every week or two since late June. Things are up and running now, thankfully. Is anyone out there happy with their internet provider? Or even moderately OK with their internet provider? Or just not completely hating it? 🤣 I am very open to suggestions for a new one.

So, time for the first installment of the Michaels Halloween items! I say first installment because this blog post is going to be about the colorful, vintage-inspired stuff. The second post is going to be more themed around a certain topic I wanted to discuss anyway.

I see that I'm late to the party, judging by the other Michaels Halloween blog posts I saw up just now. Well, we can compare notes anyway. And for those of you who aren't following many other Halloween blogs, this can be some actual news for you! Haha.

I love the vintage look to the items this year. The classic black cat is always a winner with me.


Here's that cutie again, this time on a jar. I would love to have some t-shirts featuring these images.


This pumpkin is reminding me a lot of the real old time paper maché decorations I've seen in antique stores.


Some adorable ceramic containers:


And how about this vintage-inspired, blow mold looking pumpkin man!? I'm looking these pics over and thinking how Michaels will be seeing me again during their after Halloween sales.


A kitty cat candy holder (I'm assuming). Who else thinks this looks like the cat off The Simpsons? Remember Snowball the cat?


A crazed looking cat pillow:


I had to stand on my tip-toes to get this pic, because this welcome mat was up over my head. So I didn't even get to see how cool this was until looking at my camera screen. It reminds me of a Ouija Board. That was probably the intention.


An idea of a shelf layout with all that good looking orange and black:


I'm tucking away the idea of putting little pom poms on a house, because that's pretty cute.


And how great is this Victorian? This would be even better if the windows were cut out. Can't you imagine this as a massive candle holder?


Michaels had some cute Halloween miniature buildings out. Or in this case, the "Pumpkin Tilt-a-Hurl".


How about the "Garden of Eaten"? This looks a bit Little Shop of Horrors inspired... Check out that poor dude in the doorway!


The flies make a gross addition.


I like the fortune telling theme Michaels has gone with this year.


This is one of those "Squirrel Vision" pics I took from the floor up.


Same here. It turns out that "Squirrel Vision" was the only way to get some of these signs without a glare.


This just cracks me up!


Sort of in that similar vein, here's a bottle of Love Potion No. 9:


There were a few fun critters out in the store. These toads make me smile. I should mention that these toads and that love potion bottle appear much larger here than in reality!


The ultimate critter shelf! See my toad there? I have the green one. Looks like they're being made in black now too. Those snakes were massive. Massive and squishy. I gave one of their heads the squish test and was surprised that it was more like a stress relieving ball than a pillow.



These eyeballs look an awful lot like those that are sold by Grandin Road. These eyes felt like something between stone and resin. They were surprisingly cold to the touch.


Hehe.


So there's Michaels Halloween Part 1. What do you think? Pretty good stuff this year, hey? I haven't been to any other stores with much Halloween stuff out yet. Jo-Anns was starting to put things out, that harvest-type stuff. Other than that, I haven't seen much. Have you guys seen much Halloween at other stores?

14 comments:

  1. I always like the pumpkins, myself, but the eyeballs were def. creepy.
    My Internet tends to go out at around 2pm, and goes through hick-ups until 4. Although yesterday it only went out once and came back on. No. Not happy with Frontier. AND they jacked up my bill for no apparent reason!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorelei ~ Yeah, I like eyeballs as Halloween decor. I feel like they're still something relatively new. Not a whole lot has been done with them yet, so they have this sort of hipness for me. :)

      Haha! That's why I asked if anyone out there at least doesn't hate their provider! Because as I've been asking around, it seems like everyone does. Yeah, these providers seem to like to take away access to the internet while upping the bills, hey?

      Delete
  2. I agree Justine! I was surprised to see so much "vintage" stuff at Michaels this year. I really like it. The shelves look so good with all the black and orange goodies. (and less glitter im happy to add)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The October Boy ~ Hey! How's it going? I haven't seen you around here for a while. Have you been to Ren Faire yet?

      Yeah, I really like the direction they've gone with the "vintage". This is the most I've liked Michaels' Halloween stuff in at least a few years. Yes! All that orange and black! But I'm going to have to differ with your last comment, because I'm a real glitter girl. ;)

      Delete
    2. regretably we will not have time for the Ren faire this year- bummer. It has been a very busy summer and looks to get even busier with fall coming. Sorry about the glitter comment Haha- I know there is a market out there for it!

      Delete
    3. The October Boy ~ Aww, I was just there today actually. Hopefully it's been a good type of busy? I don't know where this summer has gone, not that it's exactly over. It's just been moving fast.

      Oh, haha! No apologies needed there. :) People love it or they don't!

      Delete
  3. As always, I envy you your variety and how early things are in the stores. As you probably know, Halloween hasn't really caught on in England so I have to make do with all the eye candy you and other Halloween bloggers post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison ~ Yeah, I know you guys don't have a lot of Halloween in your stores. I keep thinking each year that that's going to change. Perhaps this is the year? At least there's online shopping, right? Hopefully the shipping prices aren't too steep. Although, I ordered something from England a few days ago and the shipping was free. So you never know!

      Delete
    2. I'm curious now. What did you order if I may ask?

      Delete
    3. Alison ~ I'm glad you asked, because it's actually something I wanted to discuss with you! For a couple reasons, I figured you'd be the only one who'd be familiar with what I ordered. I ordered two of the Bach Flower Remedies and the Rescue Remedy, which is yet to arrive. I've been reading a lot of books about these essences and the one I got has been taking the edge off some issues I had. It's mysterious and positive. Do you have experience working with these remedies?

      Delete
  4. The eyeballs were my favorite thing last year and they sold out. I was happy to see them back this year. Several in a candy jar was my plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Fashion Halloween ~ So, are you going to rush out and buy some eyeballs while they're there? :) Several in a candy jar sounds like a great plan! I can imagine it now. That would look cool with one of those haunted apothecary displays.

      Delete
  5. I liked that they went Vintage Graphics and Palmistry inspired this year at Michael's. And that Garden of Eaten Village piece is fabulous isn't it? Spendy tho', OMG, you have to be a consummate collector of Mini Village objects to pay that much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian ~ Me too! Those were my favorite of their two themes this year. Actually, those are the only clear themes that are springing to mind, but still. :) Good stuff! Haha, yeah that little Audrey II. Pretty cute, even with a fly in its mouth. Oh, I don't even know how much that cost, but the prices on those little village pieces do tend to run pretty high.

      Delete