Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Halloween Day in Cedarburg! 2018

This year, my mom and I did something we've always wanted to do, which is visit Cedarburg on actual Halloween day and night. Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while knows how much I enjoy going to Cedarburg and taking pictures each Halloween season. For a while I've heard that on actual Halloween, the businesses on Cedarburg's main street area put out lots of jack-o-lanterns. I always imagined how cool it would be to walk through this old town I like so much and see it lit up for Halloween.


So this year we actually made it there on that day! I took so many photos that I'm going to split this blog post into two parts. This first one is going to be about Halloween day and the next one will be about Halloween night.


I'll start us off with a favorite store of mine. You might remember seeing all these metal yard decorations that are displayed outside the store. This year there were some new ones. Of course there's a Minion! I'm starting to think I can't go anywhere without seeing one of those. And I'm guessing that's Jigsaw from the Saw movies?


How cool is this! I think I'm seeing a wrench coming out of the side of his head.


This looks like an actual Pumpkin Spider.


I included this pic mainly so you can see that rusty little guy in the back. He looks ready to move.



Garden Zombies!


And you'll remember these skeletons that hang around the gazebo each year.



Bigfoot


This is a view out the door of a shed that stands in the back of this shop.  As you can see, it's not exactly lit in there. I love peeking around this shed for whatever reason.


Here are a few of the goodies that were inside:




Enough said!


Directly behind the shed is a creek. I love peeking around this area too. Maybe because it's always so still and quiet back here? Or because it's a surprise piece of nature?




Mom in an alleyway type area between shops:



How fun is this? Looks like he's not going anywhere fast with those sheep in the way. 😄


We saw a few amazing dragons that day. This one looks like he's wearing a suit of armor. I think this could sell at Ren Faire!




I have to get relatively the same shot every year of the grapevines climbing the side of the old mill.




There were already a few characters out in the daytime. I was very surprised to see this large crow who approached me while saying "CAW! CAW!"



This was my first time seeing a giant inflatable of just Jack Skellington's head.


This reminds me of another character from Nightmare Before Christmas! A very, very side character. Remember the mummy? Although, I just googled some pics of that character and he had only one eye. Anyway, I thought this was actually pretty creepy. Even now, I think it's looking at me.


A dinosaur bursting from its egg! I like that they left the seeds in there.



Classic:


I'm pretty sure these were meant to be teeth but they make good, spiky punk hair too.



This was one of the most impressive pumpkins for me!


😆


This is my favorite house on the block, so it was very cool that it ended up figuring into the best part of the night. You'll see it in a very different light in the next blog post!


This next shop has rooms and rooms of holiday decorations. It's almost overwhelming!


Out front was this super tall pumpkin man who ended up looking spectacular at night.


This year I took a pic of one of those crowded holiday rooms to give you an idea of how the store looks. Imagine probably about 10 of these rooms.








Back outside...


This place always puts on an impressive display. Wait until you see it at night! This display provided some of my favorite photos of the night.


Another comparison you can make between day and night is with these caramel apples. You'll notice a whole lot less of them on the shelf by nightfall!


I thought this was a simple way to imply something like a ghost or figure. If you look closely at the head, you'll see a green lantern with a flying witch on it.


These next pictures are part of what is probably my favorite display. By night, you'll see that the pumpkin with the eye will be the head of a snake.



Check out all these miniature carved pumpkins! This must have taken someone a lot of time. And again, wait till you see this lit up!


I just really appreciate this cheery little display and I like the way it looks on that kind of greenish, wood bench.


Haha! OK, I think there's actually something to this deflated cat. He looks like this melted, pool of cat that's slithering down the street. This is the first deflated inflatable I've seen that I think is kind of working in its deflated state.


Exposed brains:


Check out these pumpkin arms and legs! These are some of the best pumpkin additions I've seen lately.



An octopus:


Pumpkins in urns are classic and I love an orange pumpkin against a purple wall!


Another (light) purple wall with a pumpkin.


I like these next two because of the subtle colors. It's the texture that mostly shows.



I bet these next pumpkins are vintage. Do you think this is one of The Three Stooges?



This is another display that implies something. Just the leaves and window-type frame make me think of looking in the window of an old church from outside.


That metal window shape and leaves were outside a shop where we bought these next two souvenirs. I held up this fairy garden stake to get some contrast, and ended up liking how it looks like she's actually flying in the sky.


This is another garden accessory that might become an indoor accessory:


You couldn't see it in the last pic, but it's actually this bubblegum pink.


This is the shadow it casts:


So, in the next blog post you'll be seeing what's advertised here:


I'm looking forward to sharing the night pics! I felt warmer while looking at these photos and that's something I really needed today. Our weather is at about freezing, so it was the perfect time to look back at a warmer autumn day! 

10 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I really like the Dino Egg such a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob ~ Thanks! :) Yeah, that Dino Egg was the first I'd seen! Someone else reached out to me on Twitter to say they liked the Dino Egg too. So that is looking like the crowd favorite.

      Are you at all familiar with Cedarburg? I ask since you're just a state away. I thought it might be possible that you'd heard of it or been there.

      Delete
  2. So. Much. Halloween! I love it!

    That little vampire owl is pretty neat, I haven't seen anything like him before.

    That deflated cat looks like the little brother of the one I have. This year may have been his final year. One of his eye lights has gone out and it will be a tricky piece of work to replace it. I did grab a very cool pumpkin-head witch inflatable on clearance to replace him or join him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ :) I know! It's great! And really welcome at this time of year. I don't know about you, but we have snow on the ground and have for a while. So I'm enjoying this trip back in time. The vampire owl was new to me too. I thought he had a lot of character.

      I thought of you when I saw that cat! I think he might just be your cat's twin. You can tell me for sure when you see him inflated in my next blog post. Oh, I hadn't thought about how the lights are replaced in inflatables. I have noticed some around town that are partially lit and I bet it's because the lights have gone out! Here I thought that they were just dim to begin with. How are the lights stored in those? That's cool that you found another one, anyway. I don't think I've seen a pumpkin-head witch inflatable before. I just googled that and saw some pretty cute ones. So it's a jack-o-lantern wearing a witch hat?

      Delete
    2. With the larger version of the cat, there is a pair of discs (for lack of actual tech talk) that connect the head to the body and allow it to turn side to side. Because of this, I can't just reach into the head to change the bulb which is inside some type of plastic "cage" to protect it. I had to remove the head years ago to fix the side to side motion and it was a Pain (capital P) to get back on.

      This is the witch: https://tinyurl.com/yb33a2s2

      I really wanted to get 3 of them and maybe a cauldron for them to stand around in the yard, or maybe get some of that rope lighting in red to make a circle for them. But even on clearance, I couldn't bring myself to spend the money for more than one.

      Delete
    3. Dex ~ I'm reminded of a house in the neighborhood that I think had both the large and small cat. At first I thought you had the same cat as the one I saw in Cedarburg, but now I see what you mean. I could send you a pic of their yard if I can find it.

      Anyway, wow that does sound surprisingly complicated! I didn't even realize the head could be detached from the body. I saw some videos on how to remove the lights, after getting curious and googling "inflatable lights". It did look like a task and it sounds like you have an extra challenge here.

      Ooh! Your pumpkin witch looks totally different from the others I was looking at. I just saw some giant pumpkin heads wearing witch hats. There weren't any bodies attached. Oh, that would be fun having a circle of these. You might just catch a clearance yet? I know these inflatables can get expensive! I looked on ebay just now to see if I could find you some extras. I saw one like yours for $75 plus $15 shipping. That seems pricey! Another for $80. Yeah, they're all looking in that $80+ range. Looks like it's a brand I've seen at Target. I checked their site for it, and didn't see it. I saw some really bizarre inflatable costumes, though!

      Delete
    4. Yup, Target is where the witch came from. I checked for more on clearance after Halloween but the nearest store that had them was too far. Then, like you found, they were just gone from the website.

      Delete
    5. Dex ~ Yeah... Well, you never know. You might find some on ebay some day that aren't priced insanely. I'll let you know if I run across any reasonably priced ones online.

      I was just at Target a few minutes ago! Sadly, all the Halloween stuff was gone, although I did pick up some cute Thanksgiving napkins on sale. :)

      Delete
  3. I am in love with the Gathered Traditions devil doll in your one photo. Asking for the name of the store and if they have an online website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haunted Eve ~ He is pretty cool! The shop is called "From the Heart" and the address is:

      W62 N591 Washington Ave
      Cedarburg, WI 53012

      I assume you're local enough to the Cedarburg area that you could drop by? I can't find a web site for the shop, but they do have a facebook page:

      From the Heart Facebook

      Maybe you'll luck out and they'll send him to you?

      Delete