Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The After Halloween Target, Michaels, and Walgreens Haul! 2014

It's that time of year again! That time when all the Halloween stuff gets marked down and I get to have fun being the biggest scavenger bargain shark I can be! I had a lot of luck this year watching the merchandise go down in price from 50% off to 70% off to 80% off to... the most exciting of all markdowns: 90% off! I guess things don't generally get marked down any more than that.

Starting with Target!

A very cute bat towel:


I love those polka dots!


A pillow for 90 cents!


Same here:


Some 30 cent jute twine which should be great for some future craft project:


Cupcake wrappers:


Some vintage looking tissue:


Doesn't this remind you of that tissue you see in Halloween pics from the 1930s?


Hanging star decorations you fold out:


I was really excited for this! I'd had my eye on it through October. Not that $6.00 is all that expensive for a makeup set, it's just that I knew it would get marked down. There were several Halloween makeup sets made by e.l.f this year, and this was my favorite.


The "Vampire" beauty book opens up to show many eyeshadow colors, an eyeliner pencil, a lip gloss, and some false eyelashes/glue. There are also some instructions, but I didn't really bother with those. I played with the set today and was very happy with the colors. I'm a fall color makeup person year-round, so I'll get some use out of this set. The eye shadows are super pigmented!


I was intrigued by this eyeball washi tape. I have no experience with washi tape, but I've seen some neat DIY ideas for it online. So what better time to try it out than when it's marked to 60 cents? That and the bright colored eyeballs are awesome.


I stuck some of the washi tape to a pumpkin to see how it looked. This is neat stuff. It sticks pretty well but comes off with no trouble at all. I can't decide what to stick it to first! I watched some videos online of girls sticking it to everything from the wall, to their computers, to their fingernails. Does anyone out there have some experience with this tape?


A cute little 30 cent bucket:


I think these skulls were 90 cents. I think the two of them are going to look cool sitting in the urns next year. 


The skulls are a nearly real size. Maybe they're accurate as small human skulls go.


I was lucky enough to hit Michaels when their stuff was down to 80% off. I wonder if Michaels marks down to 90% off at any point? I don't think I've ever been there when the prices were that low.

This was probably my favorite Michaels find:


These little glitter doilies are so detailed. I don't even know what I'm going to do with them yet, but they'll fit into a craft project somehow. Maybe as part of a Halloween banner? I think these were 39 cents for the pack of eight.


The back shows the details clearly. Some of these have a skull in the center and others have a spider.


Check this out! It's a fake candle made in that old-timey candlestick way. It was a little over $1.00. Last one too!


I also found a few candles in the regular pillar shape.


Here's how the flames look when lit. I like the curve to the flame. These fake candles just keep getting better and better design-wise!


This is a good tie-in to my Walgreens shopping. It so happened that Walgreens had these awesome black candle holders that fit the new Michaels candles! And get this, they were marked down 90%. The shorter ones were only 29 cents! So I cleaned out the few that we were left. I think they'll be good for decorating year-round.


Walgreens had this light up witch hat that will probably be worn by a pumpkin or skull next year.


Some pumpkin window clings:


Six glamorous glitter spiders for only 29 cents!


I'll have fun sprinkling these around. They always look good on a pumpkin.


I hope you all have the good luck I had with after Halloween bargains this year! Did you get any good deals during the past few days?

21 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a lot of party supplies, I know you can use those! Skulls are always good, you can never get too many of those. Candles are very atmospheric, purple is one of my favorite colors. But most of all it was probably just fun to shop around and see what's out there, that's always exciting! Looks like you're well stocked for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt ~ Yeah! I was surprised how many things from last year's haul got used for this year's party. I agree that you can always use a skull or two. Those will look cool in the urns. Those doilies will fit in somehow - either as something for the guests or as part of a banner. There are probably endless uses for them as craft supplies.

      Purple is one of my favorite colors too and I'm always a fan of glitter! So those candles were a hit with me. I love their curvy flames.

      It was fun to see what was out there! Somehow all these little Halloween sale items appear that I didn't see through October. They must have been under a pile or something and got unearthed. It happens every year. I had something weird happen with the price scanners at Target. Maybe you'll have an answer for me - Why do you think the Halloween sale stuff wouldn't appear on the scanners? It's not that they were broken, because regular price things were showing up. I just kept getting this message that the item didn't exist in the system or it would just come up as $0. Pretty weird!

      Delete
    2. Yes, that kind of thing is aggravating for guests and cashiers. It basically happens because when Target is phasing out products they drop out of the inventory system and should be reentered as clearance, or in this case, 90% off. But something goes wrong where they don't get categorized correctly in the inventory system. But the main point is that they are being phased out in that the item is not going to be restocked. Yeah, the prices at Target are really messed up, you have to really watch out for the product to ring up higher than the signage.

      Delete
    3. Matt ~ Oooh OK. Thanks for letting me know! It was getting aggravating. I even tried typing in the item names and numbers, but to no avail. At least I learned that you can type in the name or number of a product to search for it. That's something I guess. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't go too crazy this year. Just stocked up on treat bags (4x 20 packs) and a new pumpkin pail all for just under $3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ Did you do your shopping at Target? That's a lot of treat bags, so I'm guessing they're for next year's trick-or-treaters. Sounds like a good deal! Head to Walgreens if you're looking for some nearly free Halloween stuff. :)

      Delete
    2. I did! They have one treat bag in particular that I fell in love with. It's kinda translucent but has some cartoony ghosts.

      Delete
    3. Dex ~ I don't think I saw those. There weren't too many treat bags by the time I got to Target. The only bags I'm remembering were some vintage looking paper ones with polka dots.

      Delete
  3. Walgreens was 90% off today so if you go now, it might just get some deals. It was great to get a basket of stuff and have it ring up $3.01!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry did not finish reading cause I go so excited to tell you - you've already been to 90% off walgreens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M ~ Hey! Thanks for following me! :) Yeah, 90% off sales are pretty exciting. What kind of stuff did you buy from Walgreens? The cashier was laughing as she told me my total was $1.22 for three of those black candle holders and the pack of glitter spiders. I wonder if anything is even left on their Halloween shelf now!

      Delete
    2. Lets see - mostly stuff to craft with this year - small glitter skulls that I can repaint, fake pumpkins covered in panty hose. A fun cat and a raven statuette, lots of black roses. I hid it all from his Lordship as his response would be "you don't need anymore Halloween stuff". At 90% off, I just could not resist!

      Delete
    3. Lady M ~ Sounds like you found some cool stuff! I think I know the pumpkins in pantyhose you're talking about. Was the pantyhose material kind of a black lace with a rose pattern on it? Yeah, who can pass up 90% off?

      Delete
    4. Yes - a white pumpkin covered in black flowery lace.

      Delete
    5. That's the one I saw. It should match well with the black roses you bought!

      Delete
  5. Takes me back to my time working at michael's years ago.

    The glitter... the glitter...

    it doesn't... wash... off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mantan ~ Hahahaha! Yup. :) To my surprise, the glitter skulls and candles in this post didn't shed all that much. I was mildly glittery after picking them up, but not bad. But some of that stuff, like the glitter floral supplies! I can only imagine how covered in glitter you were by the end of the day. And it didn't wash off too easily, hey? Well, at least you looked festive. :)

      Delete
    2. Glittery Halloween items may as well be covered in flesh eating bacteria as far as I'm concerned :D

      Delete
    3. Dex ~ Wow. Flesh eating bacteria? Glitter isn't that bad! You get to keep your flesh - it's just sparkly for a day or two. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! You did well. I especially love the cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali ~ Thank you! Those cushions were a steal at 90 cents! They're cute with some other black/orange vintage looking ones I have. I usually love Target's holiday pillows!

      Delete