Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Wicked Renaissance 2019

That's right, you're about to see this year's Ren Faire photos in November. Perhaps you were brought a bit of autumn warmth by my last blog post. Now, here comes summer!


I'm not sure why I'm just getting around to posting these pics now, but I think I'm going to enjoy the timing of this too. It will be nice to see a bit of August.


I'm going to start with what I'd call the woodland creatures.


This costume is so great that I had to share two photos of it. If anyone out there knows who these people are dressed as, please let me know! I have a feeling they're known characters to someone, but that someone isn't me. :)



Bear claws! I just love this photo. I had good timing with this one, because the teeth and claws are being shown off perfectly. And it looks like a double set of fangs is being worn.



There's a parasol shop on the way in. Looks like we have some yoga cats to go with the skulls.


And a sea creature parasol:


This is the shop itself. I hadn't noticed that sign out front until now. "These are displays. Drunk people and children run into them. You get new ones."


How's this for some intensity!



I took a few pics of the audience during this concert. Looks like we have an astronaut here.


I really like the way her head is turned, showing her profile and part of that dragon.


The back of the hat is worth a read.


The next photos are of my favorite buildings at the faire.


This was hands down my favorite sign.





You've seen him before and you'll see him again. :)


Peeking in the side of the pirate shop...




I'm sharing this one to give you an idea of the beautiful forest setting we were in.


This is a really pretty area too.


You will no doubt remember the baby man!


I'm not sure if I've shared this guy before. He hangs out in his little enclosure all day, usually making noises or semi-offensive remarks. Although, this is looking like a pretty sweet interaction.



This is the back of his cart, and I don't even want to know about some of this! :)


I'm going to call this next section of photos the warrior section.


The blood adds something!




And a different type of warrior altogether! I thought these pieces of armor were really creative and well made.


I can't remember if we were there on Steampunk day, but we did see a few Steampunkers.


Looking these two over, I'm seeing a sort of Old West thing going on along with the Victorian/Industrial themes.


Check out these mechanical looking wings! It's fun to look these photos over now and notice little details I didn't see before, like that Scorpio tattoo that is in the perfect placement for her sleeve.


Looking at this one, I'm wishing that I'd asked this man about his octopus  accessory. That's looking felted, but it's massive.



This woman was really photogenic, so I ended up taking a lot of photos of her.  Every move she made seemed like a great pose to photograph.


Now onto the royal section. These people are the ones hired by the faire to represent actual figures in history or their entourage.



So many details, even in her hair!


A close-up of that magnificent sleeve:


There's a peacock on her hat! I had thought that other woman had an interesting bun on her head until realizing that the "bun" is another person's head. :)



I love his expression.


Near that royal area is this cool little bridge. I don't think we'd ever seen fairies sitting up there. It was so fun to walk under them.


How sweet is this? You can tell they're just looking up in awe. It would probably be pretty fun to sit up there and look down at the expressions of those walking underneath.



This picture was my computer wallpaper for a while.



An owl?


Some of the fairies sit and wander around a circle of trees.


Some of those trees have "cobwebs" strung between them. You'll see little surprise objects hanging from the strings here and there.



The fairies and creatures like to hide around the grounds too.


This one is hiding really well.


We had the yearly tempura and it was wonderful. I wish I could have some of that right now.



Joust to the death!


This knight is our favorite. You can tell he is loving every minute of this.




From a real horse, to a metal one. I do actually feel warmer looking at what was probably hot metal in the sun.


One of the food vendors during the joust.


Sometimes I take photos across the bleachers to the other side of the audience. That's why this one is a little fuzzy. I had to zoom waaaaay in. So if you're wondering if she knew she was posing for this pic, nope. There's no way. But it does look like it!


Quite the cool vest!


I'm pretty sure this is the sign that went with his show.


Mom near the end of the day:


These next pics were taken on our way out. I love this one. The picture of serenity.



The guy in the back is taking me back to another time. It's kind of weirding me out, because the last time I saw that outfit I was about his age! Anyway, the man in the front was the reason I took this. He has that kind of vampire on the move look, hey?


Jack Sparrow and his lady friend. I'm just noticing and really digging her shoes.



This outfit was so creative. At least what I think is going on here is Disney's Snow White, but made of flowers.


I bet you guys will remember him from years past. The Falconer! I like his skull necklace. And I like this pic, because every creature in it is looking every which way. I just find that interesting, that zig-zag of eye focus.


This adorable owl was feeling like my little buddy, because every time I focused my camera on him, he'd look at me and pose.


And to a different type of bird... This guy is great to watch. He rolls across the ground, standing on a large ball. All while either moving fabric or the large wings that are tucked behind his back here. It's fascinating to watch.


Oh and that silver ball he's rolling on his hand and up his arm is fascinating too. If you've seen someone doing what I'm trying to describe here, you know what I mean.


These photos, including the bird man above were taken in the drum circle/dance area where people hang out at the end of the day.


That little guy looks related to my skeleton rat!


I love the late afternoon light on this guy.




I couldn't decide which of the next two to include, so I chose both. There was something to be said for either one.



And these two were the last people I saw that day, and I think a fun way to end this.


I hope you all enjoyed looking back at Ren Faire as much as I did! There were more interesting characters and detailed costumes than I had remembered! I guess that's the thing about revisiting photos a few months later. It's all new again. :)


11 comments:

  1. I love the Bristol Fayre - your pictures are fun and bring back a lot of good memories. You have got to get yourself a costume though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady M ~ You've been there? You've probably told me that before. How long has it been since you've visited? Glad to hear my pics are bringing back some fond memories for you. :) And yeah, I've only been saying that I need to get a costume for about a decade now! ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes I attended Bristol maybe 9 years ago back when I fit into my full Elizabethan gown. Sigh - now I am about 10 lb too heavy and the corset strains to contain my torso.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great time! It's been quite awhile since I've gone to Ren Faire here in MA.

    I think you're dead on with Snow White, the colors are too perfect for her to be anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ It was! And it was fun to revisit that day in the cold of November. How's the MA Ren Faire? You could probably fit in well enough as The Salem Creep there. There are all kinds of spooky characters roaming our Faire grounds.

      Yeah! I've heard that it's trendy now for people to make Disney-inspired costumes. Like with the exact pattern of color blocking but out of different materials or modern clothes done in the exact colors of a Disney character's outfit. I just had to check because I was sure there was a name for that. Yes! It is called "Disneybounding". That's when it's done in a modern way.

      I saw a YouTube video about it once, because someone learned that they weren't allowed to visit Disneyland in an exact Disney costume, probably a rule to avoid confusion with those who are working for Disney. So this girl decided to do a modern Jafar look, by matching her shirt/shorts/jewelry to his colors and style. I wish the photo I'd taken of this floral Snow White when she was waving at me had come out more clear, but she was really on the move!

      Delete
    2. The Creep I just think wont' be nearly as effective under any kind of light. Way back when my friends and I would go multiple times in the same year, we'd all dress up. The problem with going multiple times is that the shows rarely change much even from year to year.

      Yup, DisneyBounding is a thing! One year we went, there was a group of 20 somethings that were all Bounding as Pooh & friends. It's fun seeing people do this because they're clearly not trying to reproduce the exact character but the broad strokes of the look.

      Delete
    3. Dex ~ Oh, I don't know. I've found some costumes pretty darn spooky in the daylight. But I bet the Creep's eyes are a whole lot more effective at night! How were you dressing up for your Ren Faire before? Every time I think about dressing up for our Faire, I can't think what I'd wear. I do have a lot of pirate gear on hand.

      Oh, I haven't seen a Pooh Bounding group before! I was looking up pics of DisneyBounders last night after leaving you a comment here. I saw so many creative outfits. Some of my favorites were variations of Mickey and Minnie. Yeah, it is a fun idea, and shows how much color identifies a character.

      Delete
  3. I love these annual photos. The attention to detail in the costumes is amazing. August sure seems a long time ago, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison ~ Thank you! :) And I love sharing them, even if it takes me a few months to do so! Haha! Oh yeah, there were so many cool details going on. I didn't even notice some of the costume details until looking at these photos at home. And even then, I didn't notice a few things until the second or third time I studied the photos. Like the wings on the Falconer's belt buckle. I didn't notice that belt buckle until after I posted my blog!

      And yes, August is seeming like forever ago. Our weather is feeling around 40° and sunny today and I'll take it!

      Delete
  4. What wonderful photos! I enjoyed each one very much. Such detailed outfits, costumes and cosplay! I think I've seen this Ren Faire site featured on "Carnival Eats" on TV. I'd love to attend in person some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra ~ Thank you! :) I am so glad to hear that. It feels good to know they're appreciated. I enjoy looking at my Ren Faire photos again and again, in part to remember summer and in part to look for little details I might have missed. There are a lot of details to look for!

      I don't know about the "Carnival Eats" show, but that sounds like something I need to look up. There are some food options worth talking about there. And yeah, if you have the opportunity you should definitely check out The Bristol Ren Faire!

      Delete