Sunday, October 21, 2018

Tons of pumpkins and some creepy creatures

Last Friday night was the highlight of the Halloween season so far! My mom and I saw probably the most jack-o-lanterns we've ever seen together in one place. The jack-o-lanterns were in a public park along with all kinds of homemade creatures and displays. It was all extremely cool and made me feel like a kid who was just in awe of everything. I felt like I kept saying, "Look over there!" all night.


This picture was taken far away from the line of pumpkins. Neither end of the line made it into the frame and this line of pumpkins was several rows deep. It might be kind of hard to tell that because of the crowd. As you can see, there were a lot of pumpkins! I think there were over 1,000.



Here are a few of my favorite carvings, starting with a graveyard:


Does anyone recognize this flaming face next to Spider Man? There is something so familiar about this design.



Grr... That's a feisty little pumpkin. I like that ghost too.


This snake is one of my top favorites. Look, they even carved the motion of the rattler!


A skeleton fish and sugar skull:


Do you remember that old Simpsons Halloween Special where Bart plays the part of the raven, while Poe's "The Raven" is read by James Earl Jones? Well, here's the Bart Raven in a carving! I was so excited to see this one.


You have to love this!


I like what is happening with the top of this devil/mask pumpkin. I don't know if the top was set like that purposely but it gives this cool hair-like effect. And how neat is that cabin with trees? I like how they scraped a layer of pumpkin off to make the little cabin.


A bat on a skull?


I know about the Evil Dead movies enough to understand this, although I haven't seen any of them. Still, I can appreciate a good carving! That chainsaw had to be tricky to cut.


This is like a beautiful Henna design!


There was a band playing and their stage was lit up in blue lights. Those lights made a really cool, electric contrast to all the orange pumpkins. That blue and orange combination created some of my favorite pumpkin pics of the night. (And yes, I'm realizing that I'm saying that about pretty much all of the pumpkins.)



A frog-owl?



It was like the pumpkin patch came alive and a bunch of creepy critters sprang out of it. Like these pumpkin zombies:



And this weirdly human-like pumpkin couple:


Yikes! Doesn't he look real? I thought that without the flash, these looked like real people in costumes.


And their incredibly creepy pumpkin baby! Look at its leaf-like hands. I knew I was in for something before looking in the baby carriage, because I could see the reactions of those who were looking in there!


We could see pumpkin experiments happening through the window of a building.




Through another window there were pumpkins and this floating ghoulish head that looked like they were painted with blacklight paint.


Slimy zombies were stumbling toward us!


Someone did a great job with this one.


I was tempted to lighten some of these photos, but I didn't. I wanted to show just how spooky these things looked in the dark.



There was a hearse with a driver that looked like he climbed out of the back.




There were a number of those cut-out face creations around.


I'm onto him!


After walking around for some time, we went inside a community type building. Outside of that building was this awesome reaper display.



You have to love this one:


Looking up on the way in, I saw a... something. The feet crack me up!


This tall pumpkin creature was by the entrance. He barely fit in the space.


There were of course more cool decorations inside. A kid was setting off the music that went with these props and doing some kind of jig while I was taking this pic.


I imagine this would make a good photo op for a group of people if they wanted to peek through the eyes and mouth.


These are possibly vintage and genuinely creepy.



We were surprised to find out there was a magic act happening inside. It was a pretty good act by one of the more friendly magicians I've seen.

So, it was a super great night. I can't remember the last time I was surprised and creeped out by Halloween decorations. A lot of the displays I'm used to seeing seem store bought or like something I've seen before. These homemade ones were much more atmospheric than I'm used to! It didn't hurt that there was a bright moon in the sky and the trees were glowing orange from all the lights. The whole thing felt classic, welcoming, and old-timey.


Not surprisingly, there was a big crowd out wandering around and taking pictures. So I'm happy to say this event was appreciated!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful display of pumpkins. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Fashion Halloween ~ It sure was! We had a great time. It was fun to have some surprises.

      Delete
  2. I was there Friday night. That place is just awesome. We discovered it last year (when it was 60 degrees..little colder this year) really puts you in the spirit. The evil dead pumpkin was one of my favorites as well. And those pumpkin people with the stroller were crazy realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The October Boy ~ No way! We probably passed one another! So did you remember seeing every one of the decorations I photographed? And did you catch the magic act?

      This was our first year there. It was actually our first year even hearing about it! Yeah, I had a few layers on and a winter coat but it wasn't too bad. There was a crisp, autumn night vibe. Between the weather and the setting with all those trees, it felt 100% Halloween.

      Yeah, the father pumpkin seriously looked like a real person (his face anyway). I'm creeped out by my own photos of him. And their baby! Yikes.

      Did you take any photos while you were there?

      Delete
  3. Wow that looks like a really fun time! I think the frog/owl might be someone's attempt at a Porg from The Last Jedi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dex ~ It sure was! :) Oooooh. I did not see that at all, but now that you suggest it, I think that's right! Haha! I guess a Porg could have kind of an owl/frog thing going on. ;)

      Delete
  4. yes i took some on my phone, but your pictures are so much better! I strolled around enough to see most of the stuff but you have a few pics in there i missed so thanks for that. also, you can volunteer to carve the pumpkins on Thursday I think. My daughter might do that next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The October Boy ~ Oh, OK. Thanks! I asked because I felt like I ran into a few random details that could possibly be missed inside that community type building. Like that creepy skull and vampire face that were put up in the windows. Or that little bat creeper that was hanging above me on the way in. There was just so much going on that it felt like there were decorations hidden all over the place.

      It would be fun to volunteer to carve a pumpkin! I thought they were so well done that they looked professionally carved. If your daughter takes part in this, let me know which pumpkin is hers and I'll look for it. :)

      Delete